Participants will need to agree to this policy when registering online. The text is provided here for your information.
The Boothbay Sea and Science Center is pleased that you’ll be joining us for our 2019 integrated Sea and Science Summer Programs. The guidelines that follow outline what BSSC believes is necessary for your success and that of the Program as a whole.
Arriving on time and daily attendance is important to your participation in BSSC’s integrated sea and science programs. Being late not only impacts your class time but also is disrespectful to the Instructors and the other participants in the program.
Please Note: If you expect to be late or absent, as soon as possible, please notify the Executive
Director by calling BSSC at 350.5357 BSSC participants are expected, at all times, to:
1. Respect and follow the directions of the Principal Instructor and/or
2. Respect the rights, feelings, and property of all participants and volunteers.
3. Respect the marine environment and, when possible, leave an area cleaner than it was found.
4. Help other participants with rigging/de-rigging and maintaining boats and all sea and science equipment.
5. Use appropriate verbal and body language and terminology.
Bullying is not tolerated at BSSC. In order to keep our program safe and positive for everyone involved, all participants are expected to exhibit respectful and responsible behavior at all times and adhere to this code of conduct. Failure to comply will result in the following actions:
1. First time incident – the Principal Instructor and Instructor(s) will respond to the discipline problem(s) by discussing it with the student.
2. Second incident – the Principal Instructor, in collaboration with the Executive Director, will notify the parent(s)
and a possible suspension from the program for a period of time may occur.
3. Third incident – the Principal Instructor, in collaboration with the Executive Director, has the authority to suspend the participant for the remaining season.
4. In the case of unsafe and destructive behavior, immediate removal from the program may result.
5. There will be no refunds in the event of suspension and/or removal.
ALCOHOL, DRUGS AND TOBACCO
The possession and ingestion of alcohol and illegal drugs and the use of tobacco are not permitted or tolerated at BSSC. The BSSC policy on the use of these substances is one of zero tolerance. Your use of these substances while at the Center will result in immediate parental notification and dismissal from the program. There will be no refunds in the event of suspension and/or removal from the Program.
Please Note: It is the parent’s responsibility to discuss with the Executive Director, the Principal Instructor and the Education Director their child’s need for a prescribed medication(s).
Please discuss these BSSC expectations and guidelines with your child. Respecting others and proper care of all program equipment is an understood at BSSC allowing for a thoughtful, considerate, safe and healthy environment.
I have read and agree to abide by the BSSC Code of Conduct. I recognize that participation in the BSSC Program is a privilege, and not a right. I understand that if I do not abide by and promote the Code of Conduct I may be temporarily or permanently suspended from BSSC Program.